What is a CTO
A CTO or a Chief Technical Officer is the person responsible for the technological side of a business or a project. A CTO is in charge of managing software development projects, technological partners, strategic innovation, IT support, managing and mentoring the development team and other matters that require technical expertise.
A CTO's role in a software development company
A CTO’s role is very important in any company, but for a company working in software development, it's vital.
There are many things a CTO's expertise is required for:
- Managing software development processes and workflows;
- Developing a technology strategy and managing the company's technological assets;
- Managing sponsorships and partnerships. The bigger the company's goals are, the more resources it needs. A software development company often uses third-party services like cloud services or payment systems. A CTO knows which services a company needs and how to manage these matters in the way that benefits the company most;
- Managing the development team, mentoring and recruiting new developers. This is is one of the most important tasks of a CTO. A strong development team capable of creating successful products is a powerful asset ensuring business growth;
- Designing software architecture and selecting the right tech stack;
- Software products' quality. A CTO is responsible for the quality of the product that goes to the market and becomes available to the end-user. It's a challenging task that requires making difficult decisions like spending more time on testing or speedy delivery of the new functionality requested by the investors;
- Writing software documentation;
- Ensuring the company's data security.
The list of CTO's responsibilities varies from company to company. A CTO in an established company and a CTO in a startup are two different job descriptions, but the core responsibilities are the same for any tech company.
Test Other responsibilities of a CTO include:
- how to improve the company's infrastructure
- what latest technologies are available on the market
- making decisions about third-party providers services
- what specialists the company's development team needs
- making decisions whether it's better to create or obtain a new software product or a solution
A CTO solves all kinds of technical matters and makes sure that the development team has all the means to achieve company's business goals.